There are four fundamental requirements for earning a Graduate Certificate in Computational Discovery and Engineering.
- Nine graduate credit hours of coursework in approved courses, a non-exhaustive list can be found here. These courses are designated either Methodology or Applications — at least six course-hours must be in classes in Methodology. (Up to three credits can be double-counted with another Rackham degree.)
- A CDE-related experience approved by the CDE Program Committee. This can take the form of non-credit activity like an internship, practicum or professional project equivalent to a three credit-hour course, or additional coursework of at least three credits from the approved course list. (This course can be double-counted with another Rackham degree program.) Master students can participate in the Multidisciplinary Design Program to fulfill this requirement. To find out more about this option, please visit https://mdp.engin.umich.edu/micde/.
- Attendance at the MICDE Annual Symposium, which will provide graduate students an opportunity to present the results of their research in talks and poster sessions. All students are required to attend; Ph.D. students are encouraged to make a poster presentation.
- Regular attendance at the MICDE Seminar Series, which brings internationally known CDE scientists to campus. Students are required to attend at least half of the seminars.
Upon completion of the academic requirements, follow this graduation checklist:
- Apply for graduation via Wolverine Access. Click on the Student Business link within the Students tab on Wolverine Access. You can access the Apply for Graduation page through both the Student Center and Degree Progress/Graduation tabs.
- Complete the Rackham Dual/Joint Degree Election Form. This is to verify that you fulfilled CDE Requirement 1 listed above.
- Master degree courses go in the left column while CDE courses counted towards Requirement 1 go in the right column.
- ONLY courses counted towards CDE Requirement 1 should appear on this form
- In other words, if you complete an additional course for CDE Requirement 2 (CDE-related experience), DO NOT list it on this form.
- You can only double count 3 credit hours, that is, the left and right columns can maximally have 3 credit hours in common.
- Have the form signed by your academic/research advisor or departmental academic coordinator (electronic signature is OK).
- Complete the CDE-related Experience Verification Form. This is to verify you fulfilled CDE Requirement 2 listed above.
- Complete the top portion of the form
- Have the form signed by your academic/research advisor (electronic signature is OK)
- Electronically submit the completed Rackham Dual/Joint Degree Election and CDE-related Experience Verification Forms to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All paperwork with signatures are due by the last day of classes of the semester you plan to graduate. Failure to submit all required documents will result in you not being able to graduate with the certificate that semester.