Advanced Research Computing – Technology Services (ARC-TS) has an exciting opportunity for those who wish to impact our world through science and research by use of computational tools such as scientific computing, High Performance Computing (HPC), Big Data (Hadoop, Spark, DBMS, etc), Machine Learning, cloud computing services (AWS, Azure, GCP) and more.
Your position will be part of a team supporting all University-wide ARC-TS services as well as national services such as NSF XSEDE. Your primary responsibilities will be to build and install open-source and commercial software, as well as to provide support to users doing the same. Other responsibilities will include making presentations and providing training to users, writing internal and user documentation and outreach
For more information, see the job posting here.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Strong Linux command line skills
- Two (2) or more years of experience providing IT support or working in an academic, research or scientific focused environment
- Basic understanding of building code from source on Linux systems using common tools such as autoconf, Cmake and others
- Demonstrated ability:
- to debug compiling and linking issues related to includes, libraries or makefiles
- with bash shell scripting and one (1) of Perl, Python or Ruby
- to communicate technical concepts effectively via email, letters and in person to teams and customers
University of Michigan
This is a full-time; term-limited position ending after three (3) years with the intent to re-evaluate for potential extension.